Sunday 14 December 2014

Task 6a: Tools of Inquiry

Before creating my inquiry plan, I need to think about what tools i am going to use to gather my information. I need to ensure that the tools I pick are suited to my inquiry.

Observations will be incredibly useful to me as I can observe the students as I teach them but also go along and watch my work colleagues teach and observe them as teachers.
Observing will allow me to analyse the student’s motivation throughout the class. I will be able to see the different teaching techniques teachers use to motivate their students. I plan to observe three classes a week, all different age ranges, abilities, genders and standards; I plan to do this over a six week period. I am very aware of the difference I am going to find when observing a class of 4 year olds, to a class of students at GCSE level but this is something I want to use and compare how the different ages act towards me as a professional as appose to their regular classroom teacher.
As well as written notes, I plan to record the observations this way I can see more clearly what is happening for example, how many times a particular behaviour happens.
Before I can observe anything, I must ensure I have gained consent from the necessary people. Firstly the gate-keeper and the teacher whom I plan to observe. I would also need consent from the students involved and although this is vital before I can begin my observations, I am worried that once the children know they are being observed or recorded then their behaviour might change and they may act up or behave better than usual therefore my research may not be accurate and genuine.

Interviews are a valuable method for me; I will be interviewing fellow dance teachers who have the most knowledge and experience about my specific topic.
I will need to ensure that the questions I ask are appropriate and specific to my inquiry. The method I will use will be a semi-structured interview 'which includes a set of questions or themes with the flexibility of following interesting or useful emerging issues' (Reader 6, Page 17) I believe this is appropriate for my research as I can ensure its specific to my inquiry but it also allows the person I am interviewing to be flexible in their answers.
I will also create another set of interview questions for my students to answer, this way I will be able to compare answers from both sides.

Surveys are another great way for me to gather information. I will create an online one (for my SIG to answer) but also printed ones that I can take into the schools for students and teachers to answer. Surveys differ from interviews as they are mostly yes/no answers therefore straight to the point, where as in an interview the questions allow the interviewee to go into more detail in their answers. Not everyone has time to sit down and go into detail and would prefer a yes/no survey. I believe I can still gather vital information for my surveys as long as I make the questions specific and straight to the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment